This Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken is a set it and forget it meal! Packed with sweet pineapple, bell peppers, and a tangy sweet sauce, this meal is drool-worthy and the perfect weeknight dish to have for quick dinners or easy ready-to-go lunches.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into 2 to 3-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, cut into 1/2- to 1-inch pieces (from can or jar, reserve juice – see below)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice
- Rice, for serving
- Optional: sesame seeds and green onion for garnish
- In the Instant Pot, add olive oil and set to Sauté. Let oil heat for two minutes. Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until chicken is slightly browned and onion is softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and let sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add bell pepper, pineapple chunks, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Secure lid onto Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to high pressure for 5 minutes. Allow natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, use quick release valve to release steam.
- Once pressure is released, open lid and stir.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and pineapple juice until slurry is formed. Stir cornstarch slurry into chicken mixture.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté, stirring occasionally, until mixture is bubbling and thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Let stand for 5-7 minutes for sauce to continue thickening.
- Serve warm, with rice.
- Optional: Garnish with sesame seeds and/or green onion.
How to make sweet and sour chicken in the slow cooker:
- Add all ingredients (except olive oil, corn starch and pineapple juice) to slow cooker and set to low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. After chicken is done cooking, add cornstarch slurry to slow cooker to thicken mixture.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: instant pot sweet sour chicken, sweet sour chicken in instant pot