Ready in less than 30 minutes, this Instant Pot Asparagus Soup is super easy to make as part of a quick weeknight dinner. Made with fresh asparagus, garlic, onion, lemon and cream (or yogurt), this soup calls for only six ingredients!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 1/2 to 3 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and chopped into 3-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or can sub Greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Set Instant Pot to Saute. Add butter and let heat until butter is melted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add asparagus and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth. Secure lid onto Instant Pot and set to pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- Quick release pressure
- Carefully transfer soup to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Or, you can use an immersion blender right in the Instant Pot (be careful of any splattering – the soup will be hot).
- Stir or blend in lemon juice and and heavy cream (or yogurt, if using). Season with salt and pepper, adding more or less, to taste.
- This asparagus soup will stay fresh for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer when stored in an air-tight container.
- Make sure to trim the woody ends of the asparagus spears to avoid stringy soup!
- If using Greek yogurt, make sure to let it come to room temperature (by sitting out for 1-2 hours) before you fold / blend it in so that it doesn’t curdle.
To make in the slow cooker:
- Add all ingredients (except heavy cream and lemon juice) to slow cooker and set to low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Once asparagus is soft, transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender), add heavy cream and lemon juice and blend.
- You can get the full recipe for slow cooker asparagus soup here.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot asparagus soup, asparagus soup instant pot, instant pot cream of asparagus soup