- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup arugula (not packed)
- 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss cauliflower with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast cauliflower for 30 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-low heat in a small to medium saucepan. Add onion and cook, stirring every 3-5 minutes or so, for about 30-45 minutes, or until onions have browned and caramelized. Feel free to deglaze the pan with a little white wine or vinegar to add more flavor.
- Add roasted cauliflower, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt to a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Spread cauliflower hummus on both sides of bread. Top one side of bread with caramelized onions, avocado slices and arugula. Repeat with the other sandwich
- Heat buttery spread over medium-low heat in a large saucepan and transfer sandwiches to the saucepan to cover and cook for 3-5 minutes on both sides, or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
* Makes approx 2 cups cauliflower hummus