- 16-ounce loaf of bread (sourdough, Italian or French work well), torn into bite-sized (1–2 inch) pieces
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups eggnog
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: pomegranate seeds, pecans, powdered sugar, maple syrup for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large baking or casserole dish.
- Add bread to the greased casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, eggnog, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until combined.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread. Press bread down into the dish to submerge in the mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or up to overnight. Let dish sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees until edges are toasted and casserole is set (toothpick inserted in center comes out clean), about 50-65 minutes.*
- Serve with optional toppings: pomegranate seeds, crushed pecans, powdered sugar, and maple syrup.
- Baking times vary depending on oven and type of dish used (metal vs. glass/ceramic). Check dish at about 45-50 minutes.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Holiday
Keywords: eggnog, french toast, bake, casserole, christmas, holiday