A delicious way to eat chili in no time. With only 15 minutes of pressure cook time, this easy and super hearty instant pot vegetarian chili is about to blow your mind.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large (or 2 small) yellow onion, diced (approx 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced (approx 1/2 – 3/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small (3-inch) jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry brown, black or green lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional topping ideas: sour cream or Greek yogurt, green onion, avocado, cilantro, jalapeño slices, shredded cheddar cheese
- Set your instant pot to sauté function. Add olive oil and let heat up for a minute or two.
- Add onion and bell pepper and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and let cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder, cocoa powder and salt until fragrant and vegetables are coated, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in vegetable broth and deglaze the pan (use a spoon to scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan). Add lentils, quinoa, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and kidney beans. Stir ingredients together.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to high manual pressure for 15 minutes. Allow natural pressure release (or if you’re in a hurry, carefully turn quick release valve to venting to release the steam).
- Stir chili before serving.
- Top with your favorite toppings!
- To make in the slow cooker: Add all ingredients (except olive oil) to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- I have the Duo Nova 8 quart Instant Pot but you can make this in a smaller IP like a 6 quart. Just make sure your ingredients don’t go above the fill line in the pot.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Chili
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Southwest
Keywords: instant pot vegetarian chili, instant pot vegan chili, veggie chili in instant pot