- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced (approx 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced (approx 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry brown, black or green lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional toppings: avocado, cilantro, jalapenos, shredded cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt
- Set your instant pot to saute function. Add olive oil and let heat up for a minute or two.
- Add onion and bell pepper and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and let cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder, cocoa powder and salt until fragrant and vegetables are coated, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in vegetable broth. Add lentils, quinoa, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and kidney beans. Stir ingredients together.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow natural pressure release (or if you’re in a hurry, carefully turn quick release valve to venting to release the steam).
- Stir chili before serving.
*To make in the slow cooker: Add all ingredients (except olive oil) to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.