No overnight bean soaking needed with this easy Instant Pot 15 Bean Soup! This easy weeknight meal requires very little prep and comes together quickly in the Instant Pot with many ingredients you likely already have on hand like canned tomatoes, garlic, onion, and spices.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (1 1/4 – 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium – large stalks celery, diced (3/4 –1 cup)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb 15 bean soup mix, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- ham shank or ham hock (about 1.75 lbs)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté for 8 minutes. Add olive oil and let heat for 2 minutes. Add onion, celery and carrots and sauté until onions are translucent and celery softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, bean soup mix, oregano, smoked paprika, chili powder, bay leaves, dried thyme, ham shank, chicken broth, and water.
- Secure lid onto Instant Pot (make sure valve is set to sealing if using older version). Set to high manual pressure cook for 40 minutes. Allow for natural pressure release for 10 minutes then turn quick release valve to let out the rest of the pressure.
- Using tongs, remove ham hock from soup and shred using two forks or a knife. Stir shredded ham back into soup.
- Remove bay leaves and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Not every bean soup mix is 15 beans and that’s okay! Some are 13 bean soup mixes and those will work just fine. You’re looking for 1 lb bag of bean soup mix. If the mix comes with a packet of seasoning, discard that. You’ll be adding in your own seasonings with this recipe.
- I added 1-2 teaspoons salt depending on whether I used no salt added tomatoes and low-sodium chicken broth.
- Make this bean soup vegetarian by omitting the ham shank. I would add some mushrooms or parmesan cheese for umami flavor and you may want more salt.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
Keywords: instant pot 15 bean soup, instant pot bean soup, 15 bean soup in Instant Pot