Dinner is ready in 30 minutes! This Instant Pot BBQ chicken is deeelish on sandwiches, salads, BBQ plates, you name it. Super quick and easy to make, this dish is a staple for your backyard summer BBQs (or easy weeknight dinners!).
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thigh
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Optional for serving: buns, coleslaw, pickles
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Secure lid onto Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow natural pressure release for 10-15 minutes.
- After 10-15 minutes, use quick release valve to release steam.
- Once pressure is released, open lid and stir chicken.
- Using two forks or a hand mixer, shred chicken.
- For sandwiches, serve on top of buns with coleslaw and pickles.
- You can skip shredding the chicken if you don’t want it pulled. This recipe also works well for regular BBQ chicken.
- I use a combination of breast and thigh because the thigh gives it a little more flavor while the breast is more lean so it balances out the texture and flavor. But you could use all thigh or all breast. If you’re going to make this into pulled chicken, the thigh is WAY more easier to shred.
- Use whichever brand or style of barbecue sauce is your favorite! We love Trader Joe’s Organic Kansas City Style BBQ sauce.
- To prevent a burn error, make sure that you either add the chicken broth first or that you stir all the ingredients together before pressure cooking. You want to make sure some of the broth is underneath the chicken.
- if you want to shred the chicken faster, use an electric hand mixer. Just be careful that you use a low setting and shield your skin so the hot liquid doesn’t splatter on you.
- If you’re making pulled chicken, you’ll want to keep some of the liquid with the chicken for moisture and flavor but most of the liquid can be discarded.
- Feel free to add more barbecue sauce once the liquid has been discarded to give it more flavor and moisture.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Barbecue
Keywords: Instant Pot BBQ, BBQ sliders, Instant Pot BBQ chicken, Instant Pot Chicken