The perfect dinner to use up your spring vegetables, this asparagus and mushroom galette is basically a homemade fancy pizza pie.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/3 cup ice cold water
- 5 ounces goat cheese, crumbled and divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 10 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 thyme sprigs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
- In a large mixing bowl, add flours, sugar and salt and stir to combine. Cut cold butter into the flour using a pastry cutter, two knives, or a food processor, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- If using a food processor, add cold water while machine is running, until the dough holds together (about 15-30 seconds). Otherwise, add water to the bowl and using a fork or your hands, mix together until dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Press into a flat, round disc, wrap tightly, and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until mushrooms are browned and onions translucent.
- Add asparagus and cook until bright green, about 3-4 minutes. Then, add garlic and thyme and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove thyme sprigs.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface, about 12 inches in diameter, 1/8 inch thick. Transfer dough to parchment paper.
- Sprinkle half of the goat cheese over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Arrange the asparagus and mushroom mixture over the cheese. Top with remaining cheese.
- Gently fold the edges of the dough over the asparagus mixture, covering about 2 inches of the filling, pressing gently to adhere the folds.
- Brush egg wash over the exposed dough edges.
- Bake at 400 degrees until crust is golden-brown, about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring the galette with parchment paper to a cooling rack. Gently pull parchment paper out from underneath while keeping the galette on the cooling rack. Let cool briefly, another 5-10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
For a huge time saver, use store-bought pie crust.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Spring
Keywords: asparagus, galette, mushroom, spring