This cherry chocolate ice cream reminds me of Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia! And it’s made with coconut milk so perfect for anyone with lactose intolerance or following a vegan lifestyle!
- 12 ounces frozen sweet dark cherries (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cans coconut milk (or coconut cream)
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shaved chocolate (about 3/4 of 3-ounce chocolate bar)
- Store your ice cream freezer bowl in the freezer for at least 15 hours before use.
- In a small saucepan, add frozen cherries, sugar, and cornstarch over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brought to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about five minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature (cooling in the refrigerator speeds up the process).
- In a high-speed blender, blend coconut milk, agave, vanilla and salt until combined.
- Transfer coconut milk mixture to ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions, about 25-30 minutes.
- Once ice cream is thickened to soft-serve consistency, slowly add in cherries. Add in the shaved chocolate until combined.
- Using a spatula, transfer the ice cream mixture to a freezer-safe container (loaf pan works well).
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer to harden for at least 4-6 hours.
- Let soften at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- I stored the shaved chocolate in the freezer while I waited for the ice cream to churn.
- It’s important to not add warm cherries to the mix or you’ll end up with melted soft-serve.
- If you have don’t have an ice cream maker, transfer coconut milk mixture to a large freezer-safe bowl. Freeze for 30 minutes and take it out to whisk briskly or blend using an immersion blender Repeat this every 30 minutes until your ice cream starts to turn creamy. Fold in cherries and chocolate and continue to repeat until ice cream is frozen through.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: Ice Cream
Keywords: ice cream, dairy free, non dairy, cherry, chocolate