My new favorite fall comfort food – Instant Pot Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese. This dinner is super easy to throw together and is ready in 30 minutes or less!
- 1 lb dry pasta shells
- 1 lb bag frozen cubed butternut squash (or can use 1 lb fresh butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In the Instant Pot, add pasta, butternut squash, vegetable broth, water and salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Secure lid onto Instant Pot and set to pressure cook/manual for 5 minutes.
- Use quick release valve to release steam.
- One pressure is released, open lid and stir in nutmeg, dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, half & half, and cheeses, until combined and butternut squash breaks apart into the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
To make in the slow cooker:
Add all the ingredients except for the pasta and cheeses and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Then add cooked pasta and cheeses and stir until butternut squash breaks down into sauce. Alternatively, you could use an immersion blender to blend the butternut squash and broth before adding the cooked pasta and cheeses.
To make on the stovetop:
Cook pasta according to package instructions. Steam or simmer butternut squash in broth over the stovetop. Add butternut squash, half & half, spices to a high speed blender and blend until sauce forms. Stir cooked pasta, blended sauce, and cheeses over low heat until cheese has melted and pasta is coated with sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot butternut squash mac and cheese, one pot butternut squash mac and cheese, butternut squash mac and cheese