The ultimate fall and winter brunch! Ready in less than 30 minutes, this butternut squash hash with eggs is easy to whip up and perfect for the holidays!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash (1/2 inch-cubes)
- 1 small or 1/2 medium to large onion, diced (about 1 cup diced)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms, roughly chopped (about 5 large mushrooms)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 4 eggs
- Optional: extra herbs for garnish
- In a cast iron pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add butternut squash and sauté until slightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are browned and onions translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in thyme and sage and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Turn down heat to low. Using the back of a wooden spoon, create 4 small wells in the hash. Crack an egg into each of the wells.
- Cover the pan and cook until egg whites are set, about 7-10 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Optional: garnish with extra chopped herbs.
- I love using the cast iron pan for hash because it’s well seasoned (basically nonstick) and allows you to get that crispy texture you want in a hash but if you don’t have one you can use a nonstick pan. I would stay away from stainless steel because the hash will be more likely to stick to the pan.
- If you don’t like mushrooms, you can use a different vegetable that strikes your fancy instead! I like using mushrooms here because it provides a meaty-like texture and flavor from the umami. If you use a different vegetable, consider sprinkling some parmesan cheese on top to give it that umami savory flavor.
- I served this with some whole-wheat toast but you could also serve it with some fruit on the side, a side of meat, or any other brunch goodies like muffins, bagels, etc.!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cast Iron
- Cuisine: Brunch
Keywords: butternut squash hash, butternut squash hash with eggs, vegetarian butternut squash hash, holiday hash