- 1 cup mashed banana (about two–three ripe bananas)
- 1 cup butternut squash puree*
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts, divided
- Extra coconut oil for greasing loaf pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×5 bread pan with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk banana, squash, eggs, oil, and vanilla until combined.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Transfer wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and sprinkle 1/4 cup walnuts over top. Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes in pan and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
You can buy canned butternut squash puree or make your own puree by cutting a butternut squash in half lengthwise, removing seeds, brushing with olive oil and roasting at 400 degrees F, flesh side up, for 25-35 minutes, or until tender. Then scoop out the flesh of the squash and transfer to a blender or food processor to puree.