Quick and easy healthy banana bread made with butternut squash! This whole-wheat butternut squash banana bread is the perfect compliment to a breakfast or a satisfying snack!
- 2–3 ripe bananas (1 cup mashed banana)
- 1 cup butternut squash puree*
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×5 bread pan with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk mashed banana, squash puree, eggs, oil, and vanilla until combined.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Transfer wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup walnuts over top. Bake until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean, about 55-65 minutes.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes in pan and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- You can buy canned butternut squash puree or make your own puree by cutting a butternut squash in half lengthwise, removing seeds, brushing with olive oil and roasting at 400 degrees F, flesh side up, until tender, about 25-35 minutes. Then scoop out the flesh of the squash and transfer to a food processor or high speed blender to puree. Or, roast precut butternut squash cubes tossed with 1 tablespoon olive oil at 375 degrees F until tender, about 35-40 minutes. Then transfer roasted cubes to a food processor or blender to puree.
- To toast walnuts, bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or cook on stovetop over medium heat until fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
- Do not over mix the batter! Stir wet ingredients into dry until just combined.
- If you can’t find pumpkin pie spice, I’d suggest using 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon ginger instead.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Fall
Keywords: butternut squash banana bread, butternut squash bread, fall banana bread, whole wheat butternut squash banana bread