Ready in just 10 minutes, this cozy and comforting banana bread oatmeal is made with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, caramelized bananas and walnuts. This easy breakfast is extra delicious with chocolate chips melted in!
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1 banana, sliced (divided)
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Optional: 1 tablespoon chocolate chips or maple syrup, for added sweetness
- Add oats, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, salt and half of the banana slices to a small saucepan and stir to combine.
- Heat on medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed and oats are thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- While oatmeal is cooking, heat butter in a small nonstick pan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir with butter until combined. Add banana slices and walnuts, turning banana slices over once caramelized, about 2 minutes. Cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove walnuts from heat once fragrant and slightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Top cooked oatmeal with caramelized banana and toasted walnuts.
- Optional: Top with a sprinkling of chocolate chips or drizzle of maple syrup for additional sweetness.
- If using quick steel cut oats, use 1/4 cup oats and 3/4 cup almond milk. Heat ingredients over medium-high heat until liquid has absorbed and oatmeal is thickened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Walnuts toast quickly – be sure to keep an eye that they don’t burn!
- For a high-protein oatmeal, mix in protein powder or add Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: banana bread oatmeal, banana oatmeal