For the salad:
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs fresh fava beans or 1 cup shelled (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 fennel bulb, shaved
- 14 mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
For the dressing:
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (approx from 1 lemon)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a baking sheet, place barley in preheated oven until lightly toasted, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and place in a medium saucepan with 3 cups of water and salt.
- Bring water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 45-60 minutes, or until tender and the water is absorbed.
- While the barley is cooking, prepare the dressing by adding shallot, garlic, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper to a small bowl. Whisk together until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked barley, fava beans, fennel, mint, feta and walnuts. Add dressing and toss to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.