With a new year comes new food trend predictions. This month’s recipe redux challenged us to take our favorite 2013 food trend and add it to a pot. What better time than January to check out some innovative soups stews or crock-pot meals!
If you haven’t caught wind of the latest food trends, check out Nutrition Unplugged’s compilation. One of my favorites predictions is vegetables are set to take center stage of your plate! That’s right, veggies are finally getting the spotlight they deserve.
Meatless meals are on the 2013 trend list and farro is the oh-so-hot grain this year so I decided to use farro to make a soul-warming risotto.
Side note, I also got a DSLR camera for Christmas and took an intro digital photography workshop a couple weeks ago to learn the basics. These are my very first food pics using my new toy :).
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 qt vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and heat for another 2-3 minutes, until mushrooms are tender. Add the farro and stir to coat. Add the wine and cook, stirring until it is absorbed.
- Add the stock, 1 cup at a time, and cook, stirring, until mostly absorbed between additions. The farro is done when it is al dente (about 25 minutes).
- Stir in the heavy cream and let simmer. Remove the pot from heat and stir in the Greek yogurt and parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
I always know when my redux creations are a success when Steve (my toughest critic) gives them a thumbs up! This dish got two! The farro was a nice change to have in the risotto. Farro, an ancient grain high in fiber and protein, has a chewy texture and slightly nutty flavor. Thrilled that this whole grain is making the spotlight in 2013.
What’s your favorite food trend prediction for 2013?
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.