For the Beans:
- 2 tablespoons canola, avocado or other neutral flavored oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup canned tomatoes
- 2 ounces canned chilies
- 2 cans pinto beans, drained, canning liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar
For the Skillet:
- 1 yellow or red onion, sliced into thick rings
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped green onions
- 4 whole wheat tortillas, warmed over a gas flame or in the microwave for a few seconds.
- First, while you’re prepping the vegetables, grill the onion rings and mushrooms. Oil the grates of a grill. Heat on medium-high, and grill onion rings for 4-5 minutes per side until tender and grill-marked. Grill mushrooms about 5-6 minutes total until tender and grill marked. Season with salt. When mushrooms are cook enough to handle, slice. Set aside until ready to use.
- Next, make the beans. Heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet on medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until onion is tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in chili and cumin and cook a minute. Stir in tomatoes and chilies and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour beans and beer into the skillet and cook a few minutes to bring to a simmer. Mash using a potato masher until the beans are mostly pureed. Add more bean liquid if needed to get to desired consistency.
- Heat broiler. Top beans with cheese and place under the broiler about 1 minute to melt.
- Serve skillet topped with grilled onion, tomatoes, and avocado. Garnish with cilantro and green onion. Serve with tortillas for dipping.