If your backyard ever looks something like this…and your car is one of the three buried oh-way-back-there…
What can you do? The answer…not a whole lot. But, we made the best of Nemo and had some fun being snowed in.
Luckily, this place was still open despite the Blizzard. Actually, they decided to open because so many people called in asking if they were open 😉
And we were well prepared for the storm. We made sure we had the necessary essentials in the house beforehand. You know, water, batteries, chocolate chips…It was the perfect excuse to put on the teapot and bake some homemade chocolate chip cookies. I adapted a recipe that my family’s been using for a while from The Buffalo News.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 c white whole-wheat flour*
- 2c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3c old-fashioned oats
- In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed until creamy.
- Add sugars. Beat well for 1 minute. Add vanilla and eggs, again beating well.
- Add salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Mix briefly to combine.
- Add flour. Mix well. Add oats, chocolate chips and mix.
- For each cookie, place 1/4 cup dough on un-greased cookie sheet leaving enough space in between. Bake 15-18 min in preheated oven at 350 degrees until lightly browned. Cool slightly on sheet.
*Original recipe calls for all-purpose flour
Nothing like milk and cookies on a cold, snowy day.
Were you at all affected by Nemo? How did you spend your snowed-in days?