for the scones:
- 1/4c water
- 1 tbsp masala chai loose leaf tea
- 1 1/2c whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- 3/4c Plain 2% Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon, for dusting
- 1 tbsp raw turbinado sugar, for dusting
for the glaze:
- 1c confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Boil water in small sauce pan. Remove from heat and add loose-leaf tea. Steep for at least 10 minutes, until cool. Strain.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor*, add flour, baking powder, salt, and butter, and pulse to combine (pieces of butter should be no larger than pea-size). Transfer to large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine tea, egg, agave nectar, and vanilla. Mix together. Fold in yogurt and be careful not to over mix. Add wet mixture to the dry and stir to combine.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and pat into a 1-in thick circle. Cut into 8 wedges. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle lightly over scones. Bake scones for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool on wire rack.
- While scones are cooling, whisk together milk, confectioners sugar and vanilla to make glaze. Drizzle over cooled scones.
*A blender or a fork can be used instead of a food processor.
- Serving Size: 8 scones