- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni
- 2.5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 oz grated sharp white cheddar
- 4 oz grated smoked gouda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten + 1/2 tbsp water
- Cook pasta according to directions on package and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Once foaming, whisk in flour and dry mustard. Whisk for about 1 minute and add in milk. Once the liquid is boiling, turn down the heat to simmer.
- Let simmer for about 5 minutes, or until it thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, Greek yogurt and a pinch of salt. Stir in the pasta and then store in the refrigerator until cold enough that you can mold the mac n’ cheese.
- Once cooled, form the mac n’ cheese into bite sized shapes. Dip the mac n’ cheese bites into the bread crumbs, egg wash, and then bread crumbs again. Place the bites on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 min at 400 degrees.