This month’s theme for the Recipe ReDux is “the first shoots of Spring.” With Spring comes the first batch of edible plants: garlic scapes, scallions, pea shoots, leeks, asparagus and rhubarb, along with the reminder that summer farmer’s markets and CSAs are around the corner. This year I signed up for my very first CSA at Allandale Farm which I’ll be splitting with a friend and I’m so excited for the regular supply of local, fresh, nutrition packed veggies.
My Recipe Redux this month also doubled as my Easter dinner which could also double as an Easter brunch. I’ve never actually made a quiche before and thought it would an easy way to serve up some Spring vegetables.Print
- Pre-made Pie Crust (I used Trader Joe’s frozen crust but you could make your own)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced thinly
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Chobani
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- reheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Add asparagus and leek and sauté until tender (about 8 min). Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk and Chobani in a small bowl. Season with a pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Place pie crust into baking dish. Add 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere on top of the crust. Then add asparagus and leek, followed by the egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 50 min. Let cool before serving.
The quiche turned out wonderful and made for a lovely Easter dinner. I should start brainstorming for some summer quiche ideas…squash and zucchini, perhaps? Counting down the days ’til my CSA.
What’s your favorite Quiche recipe?
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.