To honor Celiac Disease Awareness Month, Dare Foods invited us to sample and experiment with their gluten-free; cracker varieties;– Breton Gluten Free Original with Flax and Breton Gluten Free Herb and Garlic. Not that I’m a gluten-free cracker connoisseur by any means, but I did find these varieties to be light, buttery in taste, and crisp in texture.
Last week, Elizabeth and I gave a rockin’ presentation on branding and social media to a group of dietitians and afterwards we celebrated with local brews and eats for lunch at Armsby Abbey. The food was delicious – of course, we shared plates so that we could try a little bit of everything that struck our fancy – homemade hummus, roasted veggie focaccia, chipotle sweet potato soup, and fennel salad.
The fennel salad was topped off with the perfect crunch – some toasted breadcrumbs. I’m usually not one to jump on the crouton bandwagon so these toasted breadcrumbs were a welcome substitute for that desired little crunch. And cue the a-ha moment. Immediate inspiration for my recipe using Breton’s Gluten Free Original with Flax crackers. I knew I wanted to toast these babies to create the ultimate salad topper.Print
for the salad:
- 1 bulb fennel, halved and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/8tsp sea salt
- 1/8tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 16 Breton Gluten Free Original with Flax crackers (1/2 sleeve)
- 1 bunch arugula (roughly 4 cups)
- 1/4c shaved pecorino romano
- fennel fronds, for garnish
for the dressing:
- Juice of one lemon (2 tbsp)
- 1/4c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8tsp of sea salt
- 1/8tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss fennel with 1 tbsp oil, salt, and pepper, and place onto baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until fennel is caramelized. Let fennel cool to room temperature.
- Add the Breton Gluten Free Original with Flax crackers to a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs are formed (yield: roughly 3/4 cup crumbs). Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Add crumbs and stir frequently until crumbs are golden brown and crispy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add arugula, fennel, and cheese to a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Before serving, top with breadcrumbs and fennel fronds for garnish.
You May Also like
Click on the link below for more gluten-free culinary inspiration using Breton’s gluten-free crackers.