A couple weeks ago I started to feel it. The desire, the longing. It came on so strong I knew I had to act upon it instantly. This desire was none other than the desire to have a warm bowl of oatmeal on a crisp Fall morning. Yes, I had the realization that the windows could no longer be cracked at night and breakfast smoothies were a thing of the past. I embraced the cold morning and desire for oatmeal with open arms and opens spoons.
I use quick cooking steel cut oats and cook on the stovetop with coconut milk. I’m slightly lactose intolerant so if I have milk in large quantities, I am not a happy camper. I loved using coconut milk in my smoothies this summer and am happy to have it again in my oatmeal.
I love oatmeal on cold mornings but I can’t eat oatmeal plain. There’s got to be a little pizzaz to the oats. Last fall, I was all about pumpkin oatmeal. This fall, I’m all about eating apple pie for breakfast. Apple pie oatmeal.
- 1/2 cup Quick Cook steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 cups unflavored coconut milk
- 1 apple
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup walnuts pieces
- In a medium saucepan heat coconut milk over medium heat until milk starts to boil.
- Add oats and reduce heat to simmer and cover with lid. Cook oatmeal for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut apple into 1/2 inch cubes. Place cut apple in microwave-safe bowl and sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg on apples. Toss apples to combine and then heat in microwave for 30 seconds or until soft.
- Add apples, agave nectar, and walnuts to oatmeal, and stir to combine. Serve hot.
Apple pie oatmeal is best enjoyed in your slippers and warm pjs!
I’m a nutrition coach and yoga teacher helping people to learn to love food again. I love cooking, taking pictures of my food and traveling around the world. Follow my blog for delicious, seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life. And check out my e-book to learn how to improve your health through nutrition and yoga. Show me what deliciousness you make! Tag me @karalydonRD on Instagram.