Sweet and spice and everything nice. These raw vegan gingerbread truffles are deliciously decadent tasting and good for you, perfect as a holiday gift for your favorite healthy foodie.It’s the holiday season. With the whoop-de-do and hickory dock. And don’t forget to hang up your sock.
Get your socks, people. The holiday season is officially here! I’m not one of those people that can even talk about the holidays until AFTER Thanksgiving. But once December 1st rolls around, I’m ALL in. Like deck the halls with anything I can get my hands on all in.Our tree is up and decorated. Christmas jingles are on repeat on Pandora. And elf pants are hanging up on our doorways. Cause nothing says Christmas quite like elf pants. Or maybe they are shorts? Fun fact, I played an elf one year when I was a senior in high school at the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra Holiday Pops Concert with Marvin Hamlisch as the guest celebrity conductor. I asked my Mom if she still has photos of me so I can embarrassingly share them with you on the blog :). Stay tuned…But yeah, I wore tights and elf shorts, not elf pants.
Speaking of ELVES, they would totally love the recipe I have for you today. And you can be an elf and give these to someone as a holiday gift! Because who wouldn’t love good-for-you gingerbread truffles as a holiday gift?!I don’t know about you but gingerbread is probably my favorite holiday flavor, over peppermint mocha, over eggnog, over creme brûlée (is that even a true holiday flavor anyway??). There’s something about it’s sweet and spicy flavor profile that gets me coming back every time. Spicy ginger. Sweet molasses. Warm cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Yum, yum, YUM.
You might be aware of my slight gingerbread obsession if you’ve seen my gingerbread pancakes, gingerbread bread pudding and no bake mini gingerbread cheesecakes. Well, today we’re bringing gingerbread back in truffle form. These are vegan-friendly and raw (if you use coating option #1) and taste like a decadent gingerbread treat. You would never know they were packed with healthy fats, fiber and protein.
They make the perfect holiday DIY gift for your foodie friend or family member. That is unless you decide to eat them all first. Which is totally an acceptable option and the option that I decided to go with. Put these out as a bite-sized dessert next to the cookie tray at your next holiday gathering. And better make a double batch because these gingerbread babies will go quick.
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted (approx 10 dates)
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder for dusting (raw) OR
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips +
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut oil
- In a food processor, add dates, pecans, ginger, molasses, cacao powder, cinnamon, cloves and allspice and pulse to crumb-like consistency.
- Roll mixture into 1-inch balls and place onto wax paper or parchment-lined baking sheets. Store in freezer for 20 minutes or until chilled.
- Remove truffles from freezer and use one of the options for coating below:
- Add cacao powder to a plate and roll each truffle in the powder until coated OR
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat, whisking frequently until melted. Turn off heat and place the balls, one at a time, into the melted chocolate until coated. Remove and return truffles to parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Store in the refrigerator to keep chilled.
To save time, use 1 teaspoon gingerbread spice in place of ginger, cinnamon, cloves and allspice.
And the winner of the ALDI gift card giveaway is Nicole Martin! Congrats, Nicole! I’ll be in touch soon. Thanks to everyone else who entered. Be sure to enter my Mindful Monday giveaway taking place now if you haven’t already!
Tell me, what’s your favorite holiday flavor? Are you a gingerbread lover too?
Check out my other gingerbread recipes below!