- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 2 bell peppers, cubed
- 2 zucchini squash, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a casserole dish or rimmed baking sheet, roast tomatoes with 2 tbsp olive oil for 30 minutes.
- Salt the eggplant and let sit in a colander for 15-30 minutes to remove juices. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and garlic to the pot. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until they are wilted and lightly caramelized, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers and salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, zucchini, roasted tomatoes, bay leaf and thyme.
- Bring to a simmer and let gently simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add a splash of red wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
We served ours with whole-wheat penne and sprinkled Parmesan cheese. Super simple and delicious. We'll definitely be making this again come Summer after we hit up a Farmer's Market.
Check out what else is cooking in the Oscar Kitchens by clicking on the link below.