I am excited to share my first Recipe ReDux post with you all. Recipe ReDux is the first and only recipe challenge group founded by registered dietitians. Each month I will be creating a recipe based on the month’s theme. I was so excited to start off the first Recipe ReDux by making a summer beverage.
It all started with fresh picked blueberries from Tangerini’s Spring Street Farm.
That gave me the inspiration to make this summer beverage:
- 8 lemons
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 small bunch basil (approx 24 large basil leaves)
- 2 L sparkling water
- Optional 2 lemons for garnish
- Squeeze 8 lemons for lemon juice.
- Using an immersion blender, blend blueberries, lemon juice, sugar, and basil until blended well. Add juice to pitcher and fill with 2L sparkling water.
- Optional: Use 1 lemon to add lemon slices to pitcher. Use the remaining lemon for garnish on glasses.
For a refreshing summer cocktail, add 1.5 oz vodka per drink.
While drinking, it is appropriate to let out a satisfying ahhhh.
This drink is perfectly refreshing for the summer. The blueberries and basil pair well together and are in season this time of year. Making this beverage was my first time using an immersion blender and it was definitely worth the investment. It blended everything very well.
The blueberry basil lemonade fizz quenched my thirst and desire to taste those fresh local blueberries after a long day of berry picking.
This summer drink would be a big hit at your next summer BBQ or party!
Be sure to check out some of the other delicious Recipe ReDux summer beverage recipes:
- Gretchen, kumquat Ginger Ale
- Dr. Barb, Nutrition Budgeteer Triple Cherry Chiller
- Carlene Helble, Carlene’s Figments Mint Berry Seltzer
- Kara Lydon, Peace, Love, and Food Blueberry Basil Lemonade Fizz
- Deanna Segrave-Daly, Teaspoon of Spice Cantaloupe Basil Aqua Fresca Fizz
- Jessica Fishman Levinson, Nutritioulicious Blueberry Basil Cooler
- Marie Spano, Performance Nutrition Post-Workout Power Smoothie
- Elizabeth Jarrard, Don’t White Sugar-Coat It Southern Blackberry Smash
- Emily Greenfield, The Nutriscientist Apple, pear and strawberry smoothie with Chia
- Kristen Bourque- Swanky Dietitian Fresh Fruit and Club Soda Cooler
- Regan Jones – The Professional Palate Berry-Lime Bubbly
- Kat Lynch – Eating the Week Sparkling melon fizz – nice & naughty
- Lisa @ Healthful Sense Berry Refreshing Chia Seed Smoothie
- EA Stewart-The Spicy RD Gingery Peach Float
- Alysa Bajenaru – Inspired RD Blackberry Banana Swirl
- Ann Dunaway Teh, Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish Pregnancy Mocktails
- Yuri – Chef Pandita Green Tea Ginger Limeade with Chia Seeds
- Karman Meyer-Nutrition Adventures Orange-Mint Iced Green Tea
- Cherie Schetselaar-Grain Crazy Mango Strawberry Smoothie
- Emma Stirling – The Scoop on Nutrition Recipe Redux Tangelo-ade
- Carrie Miller, Nutrition Know How, 12 Smoothie Recipes to Beat the Heat
- Rebecca Scritchfield – #MeFirst Banana Split Smoothie
- Alexandra Caspero- Delicious Knowledge Strawberry Splash Mojito
- Liz Weiss & Janice Newell Bissex — Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen Pint-Size Pina Colada
- Danielle Omar — Food Confidence RD Almond Iced-Coffee Latte
What is your favorite summer beverage?